For the 4th time, we bring you, the 4th Komikon Reader’s Choice Awards this 2014!
NOMINATION GUIDELINES AND PROCEDURES
- Different titles created by a single artist/group can be nominated in one category.
- Nominated works, whether published, independent, or web comic, should have been released between JULY 1, 2011 to DECEMBER 31, 2013.
- Artists and works that have been nominated in previous KOMIKON Awards can still be nominated provided that their work/s is/are still being published during the nomination period.
- Nomination period will begin on July 24, 2014 and end on July 30, 2014 via the online link below only.
- NOMINATION categories can be viewed below.
- Click on the ‘Nomination Link’ below to enter your nominations in the Online Nomination Form. To give you an idea of who to nominate, you may view previous nominees and winners at the Komikon Awards website. Note that some categories have been changed/added.
- Nominees will be screened and shortlisted.
Support your favorite comics and artists by nominating them here:
VOTING GUIDELINES AND PROCEDURES
Voting period will be from August 2 – 31, 2014. The voting procedures will be announced. For inquiries about the awards, please direct your questions to awards[@]komikon.org with the subject: “Komikon Awards Inquiry“.
- BEST INTERNATIONAL ARTIST – You can call it the “Pacquiao of Philippine Comics”. This is for the artist who makes us all proud to be a Filipino, regardless of whether he or she is an illustrator, inker or colorist based in the Philippines or abroad. We give recognition to the artist that makes us excited to get a copy of a comic and say “Pinoy yan!”.
- This is for the ultimate… the chosen one. This is for the best among the rest. This means that the comic has achieved its ultimate potential; it’s all that and then some. This covers the mainstream comics, published and sold in the major local bookstores. This is for those that have reached the pinnacle of comic making; it’s up there, head and shoulders above the rest, looking down on us through a magnifying glass. This is for the comic that embodies all the things that made us love comics in the first place. The Best Comic Award is divided into three categories:
- BEST COMIC: Graphic Novel /Anthology – Graphic Novels are defined as novels whose narrative is related through a combination of text and art, often in comic-strip form. On the other hand, an anthology is a collection of stand alone comic book stories collected in one publication by a group or one author. This award aims to honor the best comic book creator or group of creators for their exemplary work.
- BEST COMIC: Serialized – A comic series published regularly in a magazine, newspaper or comic book publication.
- BEST COMIC: Comic Strip Compilation – Here’s a step from the day-to-day print to more lasting impressions. One strip is never enough.
- BEST COMIC CREATOR (s) – This award recognizes the talents of a solo artist or team of artists in making the best comic there is.
- BEST COVER – A cover dictates how people see your comic. Sales also depend on the cover. And here we salute those covers that made us look and look hard. And the effort to it took to conceptualize, pencil, ink, and in some cases, to color the cover. The award shall go to the artist or group of artists that created such masterpiece.
- BEST CARTOONIST – The award acknowledges the countless comic strip artists whose works are published in newspapers, tabloids and magazines. Some might say that comic strip artists don’t get the props that they deserve. They give us the simple delight of a smile, a chuckle or an all-out laugh. They’re one of those everyday things we tend to pass by, yet they’re sometimes important as their humor is sometimes the only solace in those dreary days.
- GRASSROOT AWARD – This award is for those countless photocopied mini-comics that we now fondly call “indies”. That among those countless black and white comics stood out and proved to be the one with the most Oomph! of them all. This is for the indie that made the biggest dent among the populace be it good or bad, it made enough noise for people to look and take notice. It made enough of a statement that people actually stopped and listened. It brought something new and fresh that has never been done or seen before. Be it the concept, the art, or the story, it was a breath of fresh air among the masses of photocopied, folded in half and stapled twice in the spine comics. This is meant for those who dreamt of making a mark on the comic industry, and have succeeded, quite magnificently at that.
- BEST WEBCOMIC – A lot of effort goes into the webcomics we see and enjoy on the net. And they do not get the credit they deserve. But that’s why we are here, to give props to those under-appreciated webcomics, to give to where it is due.
- KOMIKS CHARACTER OF THE YEAR – This award is for the most memorable, the funniest and most unforgettable komiks character. It could be male, female, a robot, an animal…anything. This is for our respective favorites, villain or hero.
- COMICS AID AWARD – Komiks would have not been possible if creators did not have any help. This is for those who have helped take comics from concept to fruition, from the little things to the humongous tasks. For all those who helped from photocopiers to publishers, family and friends, for artists, fans and fellow believers who continue to spread awareness about the industry, this is for those who have helped make what we see before our eyes